Which Facts Does Piers Not Understand?
By Paul Homewood
At the end of last week’s debate on Piers Morgan’s show between Marc Morano and Bill Nye, Morgan concluded by saying to Morano
OK. Look, I respect that you have views. I don’t think they’re facts and there are many scientists who would take issue with you about the use of the word facts.
So what were these facts that Morgan seemed to have trouble believing?
The NewsBusters website has a full transcription of the debate, and includes citations for most of the points Morano made, and is well worth reading.
But, to summarise, the points he made were as follows :-
- There are quite literally hundreds of factors that influence global temperature, everything from tilt of the earth’s axis to ocean cycles to water vapour, methane, solar system, the sun, cloud feedback, and volcanic dust.
- Peer-reviewed studies show the Medieval and Roman warming periods as warm or warmer than today, and evidence shows these were world wide phenomena.
- We’ve had 16 years with no warming.
- In the geological past, there have been warmer times when there was less CO2 than now, and colder periods when there was more.
- The number of big tornadoes has declined since the 1950’s.
- We’ve gone the longest period without a major hurricane hitting the US since 1900, and there are no unusual trends in hurricanes.
- US droughts not getting worse.
- US floods not getting worse.
- Sea levels have been rising since the ice age, and there is no evidence of acceleration.
There is in fact very little disagreement amongst scientists about any of these issues, although there will be debate about the detail and nuances. There are possibly only two issues where there could be controversy.
1) There is clearly a debate about whether the MWP and RWP were global, or just limited to Europe, as Nye claims. However, even Michael Mann would not be able to deny that there are a host of serious studies which contradict the latter, and which cannot simply be swept under the carpet.
2) The question of whether sea level rise is accelerating. Uncertainty still exists about the exact measurements, but the worst case scenario suggests only an increase from 8 inches per century to 11 inches.
If Morgan genuinely does not believe these are facts, it really does prove just how brainwashed some people, who are otherwise intelligent individuals, have become.
So what did the “Science Guy” have to say?
Let’s finish by looking what Bill Nye contributed to the discussion. He appeared to be extremely badly prepared, with little understanding of the subject. But his main points were :-
- The MWP and RWP were just in Europe. [Apparently he has not heard of Greenland.]
- CO2 emissions are rising.
- The world’s population is rising.
- It’s the rate of CO2 increase that is the problem, not the actual level.[Not heard of that one before!]
- This is the hottest two decades in recorded history.
- Accusing Morano of stating the UN says it’s not the hottest 20 years.[ Where on earth does he get this from?]
- Tens of millions will try to move north out of South East Asia.
- In reply to Morano’s claim that Kyoto will make next to no difference to global temperatures, Nye responds “We’re not talking about the temperature.”
All in all, a rather rambling performance that showed he had very little understanding of the topic.