Skip to content

Mercedes-Benz Scraps Plans to Make Only Electric Vehicles Due to ‘Market Conditions’

February 26, 2024

By Paul Homewood

h/t Gamecock

 

TRANSLATION – NOBODY WANTS TO BUY THE USELESS THINGS!

 

.

 

 image.

Mercedes-Benz has backtracked on their plan to transition to selling only electric vehicles after 2030, with company officials saying that “market conditions” have not allowed that to happen.

It was just three years ago when the German luxury vehicle manufacturer announced that it would go “all-electric,” the Verge reported at the time.

The company said it would commit $47 billion to electrifying its fleet, with CEO and board chair Ola Källenius saying, “We are convinced, we can do it with strong profitability, and we believe that focus on electrical is the right way to build a successful future and to enhance the value of Mercedes Benz.”

Those plans were scrapped this week in the company’s fourth quarter earnings statement:

“Customers and market conditions will set the pace of the transformation. The company plans to be in a position to cater to different customer needs, whether it’s an all-electric drivetrain or an electrified combustion engine, until well into the 2030s.”

The automobile giant went on to state that its electric vehicle sales are expected to only reach a maximum of 50 percent of the overall sales in the second half of this decade.

The business model change comes after multiple highly-publicized instances of Mercedes-Benz electric vehicles catching on fire and causing massive damage.

An EQB model caught ablaze while being charged in a car showroom in Malaysia on New Year’s Eve 2023, with video footage showing the terrifying moment a portion of the building went up in flames.

The fire destroyed “about 90 percent of the car, five percent of the showroom building structure, and 20 percent of the electric vehicle charging bay” the local fire and rescue operation commander told the Star.

Earlier in the year, a new Mercedes-Benz EQE350+ electric vehicle spontaneously caught fire while parked in a Nocatee, Florida home garage, causing an estimated $1 million in damage to the house.

The car wasn’t even charging when it caught fire, Breitbart News reported.

https://www.breitbart.com/pre-viral/2024/02/25/mercedes-benz-scraps-plans-to-make-only-electric-vehicles-due-to-market-conditions/

13 Comments
  1. The Informed Consumer permalink
    February 26, 2024 9:35 am

    We’ll still be stuck with a £15,000 premium for an new ICE car. That’s never going away even if EV’s do.

    • glenartney permalink
      February 26, 2024 9:47 am

      All designed to get the majority off the roads.

      No doubt the History graduates in parliament could give an indication of just how far people can be pushed before rebelling

      • gezza1298 permalink
        February 26, 2024 11:19 am

        You can never rule out that it is the sheer stupidity of the politicians the people have elected that may force people not to own a car as opposed to some plan.

  2. saighdear permalink
    February 26, 2024 10:07 am

    THose manufacturing Hypocrites.  “We are convinced, we can do it with strong profitability, and we believe that focus on electrical is the right way …. …” .
    Like all the other Manufacturers , I have been ghosting their products for the past few years …. My Gravy Train doesn’t fit on their tracks.

  3. GeoffB permalink
    February 26, 2024 11:16 am

    But Mousie, thou art no thy-lane,

    In proving foresight may be vain:

    The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men

              Gang aft agley,

    An’ lea’e us nought but grief an’ pain,

              For promis’d joy!

    The full poem is here….https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/43816/to-a-mouse-56d222ab36e33

  4. gezza1298 permalink
    February 26, 2024 11:25 am

    Why would Mercedes Benz be any different to other manufacturers who are seeing demand for battery vehicles slump. Their saviour is that they have proper vehicles to sell that those who are battery only don’t.

  5. John Bowman permalink
    February 26, 2024 12:44 pm

    if Mercedes Benz – and the others – had done their marketing they would have know this before building BEVs – that after all is what marketing departments are for, to ascertaining market conditions before committing to a product to avoid costly mistakes.

    Fire the management and sue them, as they failed in their fiduciary duty to shareholders.

  6. Mrs Green permalink
    February 26, 2024 2:03 pm

    Oh how the mighty are just as prone to CLIMATE NONSENSE as the little people…perhaps more so.

  7. Mikehig permalink
    February 26, 2024 4:55 pm

    Dacia are keeping their options open:

    https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/no-electrified-dacia-sandero-until-it-becomes-issue

  8. energywise permalink
    February 26, 2024 7:57 pm

    Great news, reality is an harsh lesson, no one wants inept battery cars

  9. Chris Phillips permalink
    February 27, 2024 12:59 pm

    I wonder is this will cause Jaguar to re-think its “re-imagination” strategy, which is to make only EVs by 2027, and only offer “upmarket” £100k plus cars to compete with Aston Martin and Bentley. They have already announced the ceasing of production this Summer of their XE, XF and F-type cars, despite continuing demand for these vehicles. Their ICE SUVs will soon follow into oblivion.

    • February 27, 2024 1:26 pm

      I wouldn’t be surprised if every manufacturer reverses its EV strategy, which just goes to show that despite all the bravado and bluster of politicians and greenies, you cannot win against reality.

  10. CitizenK permalink
    February 27, 2024 8:40 pm

    Well, it seems the esteemed marque is in similarly esteemed company. Apple just cancelled its EV project also…

    https://techcrunch.com/2024/02/27/apple-cancels-electric-car-project-titan/

Comments are closed.